JU88, copyright RAF Museum Hendon

This was the third twin-engined bomber used by the Luftwaffe at the time. It was the pick of the bunch. It was a very well designed aircraft with smooth lines. It came into service in August 1939 but only a handful saw action in the Polish campaign. With a top speed of 286mph, it was the fastest of the bomber fleet and could carry a relatively large bomb load of 5510lbs. Capable of a formidable self-defense, it often operated alone or in relatively small groups and was a very accurate dive bomber, proving to be very successful during the Battle of Britain. It remained in service until the end of the war.