Audax ominia perpeti – Boldness to Endure Anything
Originally formed in 1916 at Castle Bromwich, the squadron saw service in France during the First World War. It was disbanded in 1919. After only 11 years the squadron was reformed in 1930 at RAF Hornchurch. In March 1939 it was equipped with Spitfires. Based at RAF Hornchurch during July and August 1940, 54 Squadron was involved in some fierce engagements with the Luftwaffe, and in September 1940 it was moved to Catterick to rest.
The squadron continues to operate as 54(Reserve) Squadron, a training unit based at RAF Waddington.